With the purpose of showing the best practices and the environmental and ethical urgencies in the fashion industry, Associação ModaLisboa has been instituting values and principles of sustainable development in all stages and planning parameters of Lisboa Fashion Week. Use of renewable, recyclable and biodegradable materials and products; avoid plastic and synthetic and chemical products; investment in smart design; reuse and recovery of furniture and products from previous editions to achieve waste reduction and avoid overproduction are just some of the practices adopted. ModaLisboa also seeks to sensitize partners, suppliers, staff and all stakeholders that make the event happen for the adoption of good practices, in order to continue to evolve sustainably.
To a fairer, safer and more transparent fashion industry, ModaLisboa has been promoting, since 2017, several events such as the Global Fashion Exchange Lisboa, held during the 48th edition of Lisboa Fashion Week, which integrated various activities such as workshops, networking events, art installations and a Swap Market, where the public had the opportunity to exchange garments they no longer use, renewing their wardrobe at no cost, with a sustainable attitude and avoiding garment waste.
Sustainability is also a recurring theme of Fast Talks and various events of ModaLisboa's Check Point project. In each edition, we invite several fashion professionals and companies - such as BCSD (Business Council for Sustainable Development), Calvelex, Inovafil, Tintex, Scoop and Valerius - to talk about their mission and the activities and innovations they have been implementing to respond to environmental and ethical urgencies in our industry. The public thus has the opportunity to enrich their knowledge and to contact various key players who are changing the course of Fashion for the better.
KNOW MORE ABOUT THE MODALISBOA'S LATEST EVENTS IN SUSTAINABILITY:
COMMITMENT LISBON GREEN EUROPEAN CAPITAL 2020
In January 2020, Associação ModaLisboa and more than 200 entities took on the Commitment Lisbon Green European Capital 2020 - Climate Action Lisbon 2030. Within the scope of this agreement, Associação ModaLisboa commits to contribute to the environmental goals agenda of the city of Lisbon for the next decade, implementing the following measures / actions:
- Install LED lighting in all buildings where Lisboa Fashion Week takes place.
- Provide collaborators with a free monthly public transport pass.
- 50% increase in the sending waste for recycling.
- Eliminate the use of single-use plastics.
- Disseminate materials from Green Capital to all employees and associates.
- Hold events or conferences during the Green Capital year and beyond.
- Communicate the city's goals through ModaLisboa's communication channels.
- Create several dynamics in the sustainability area for the general public, including conferences and a sustainable lounge.
- Create and disseminate a manual of good practices for implementing more sustainable solutions with partners and sponsors.