Carlos Gil was born in Nampula, Mozambique, in the late 60s. He graduated in Fashion Design in Portugal. In 1998, he opened his first atelier, in Fundão, and a few years later his how store and brand CARLOS GIL.
In his creations is always present the dream of capturing beauty in various ways, creating astonishing and superior quality pieces.
Carlos Gil presents his collections at ModaLisboa, and has been conquering international markets participating in international fashion weeks. In October 2021, he was selected to represent Portugal at Expo Dubai 2020, where he presented his spring/summer 2021 collection, "Portugal".
With a solid career path, Carlos Gil allies the public recognition of his distinguished work and career with several nominations and awards:
- Medal of Merit of the City of Fundão (2009);
- Young successful businessman in Portugal and Abroad (2009);
- XX Golden Globes Awards Gala (2015 - nominated for the award of Best Fashion Designer);
- In July 2015 he is also honoured by the President of the Portuguese Republic with the “Ordem Infante D. Henrique” distinction;
- XXII Golden Globes Awards Gala (2017 - nominated for the award of Best Fashion Designer);
- XXIII Gala of the Golden Globes (2018 - nominated for the award of Best Fashion Designer);
Carlos Gil was referenced as inspiration and trend in the FW17/18 edition of the trends book Next Look Women's Wear.
Carlos Gil's SS21 collection is inspired by Portugal and built based on Portuguese feeling, courage and culture. A collection scribbled with color and full of symbolism. The print reinforces the designer’s signature, elevating multiple Portuguese monuments. The waves of ruffles, the nets of the sea and the pockets that save not only, but also, secrets, feelings and emotions, the cut symmetries or asymmetries dress an elegant, strong and mysterious woman. On the #MAIS runway, the elements bring to live and enrich what is history, culture, tradition, what is Portuguese, what is Portugal.